Once upon a time there were three little chicks who lived with a new chicken owner. This is their story and how they grew up under the Live Oak trees and Spanish Moss of Tallahassee, FL.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pictures of the Babies

Who can resist sweet, fragile and precious newborns? Babies, kittens, puppies and chicks!
As mentioned previously, yesterday we came home with three 2 day old Araucana chicks. We chose three different colors. One of the characteristics of Araucana chickens, is that they have been bred primarily for egg color, and not breed color. If you look at the pictures that I posted previously of the Black Australorp and Buff Orpington, those birds have been bred to their physical standard. Araucana (and Ameraucana's and Easter Eggers) will have different colorings in their feathers, but all of them will (hopefully) lay blue - green colored eggs. I can't wait to see those beautiful eggs!
Here are pictures of my husband and twin boys with their new baby chicks!

This is my DH holding Scarlett. (Don't look at his hair, he just woke up...:-) I think Scarlett has the prettiest coloring right now. She's a beautiful reddish-brown color with great markings all over her back. I can't wait to see how she develops.


Nathan loving on his Belle Watling (Belle for short). Belle is your typical little yellow chick. Nathan came with me to pick up the chicks, and was drawn to a bunch of yellow chicks that were meant for a farmer raising "meat chickens." Ooops. So I led him to the Araucana cage, and they had some little yellow ones there. What I wasn't thinking about at the time, was that Miss Belle may grow up to be a white chicken. White chickens are easier for hawks to spot from the sky. Have I told you how many birds of prey we have in this area??


Alex wearing Aunt PittyPat.Alex is a teensy bit nervous around the chicks, which is why he is more wearing Aunt PittyPat, instead of holding Aunt PittyPat. PittyPat is pretty, too. She is the darkest chick, and she also has very beautiful markings in her "fur."


Me, helping to corral all three chicks. Helping to corral three chicks and two 5 year old boys... I am just loving these chicks.

Can anyone guess where we got the names for our chickens? Anyone? Anyone?

Here is a hint: This is Legendhold Frankly My Dear, better known by his call name - Rhett.

Anyone? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment